I painted the upper and lower cowl today with a Engine paint which can withstand temperatures to 500º. Then I added the foil to the bottom cowl and they are finished until the next step with the baffles.
Today I installed the EGT’s and CHT’s. Once we start to wire the engine next week, everything will be connected. This is the left side.
Here is the right side.
Clint from Vetterman’s is sending me replacement mufflers. The first ones were 2″ and the replacement will be 1 ½”. He feels the fit will be better, so I installed the exhaust on the cylinders and I can mate up the mufflers once I receive them.
I received my exhaust from Vetterman and installed it. One of the mufflers had a couple of dents in it and Clint is not sure this is the final design. It is different from Van’s, it has two pipes verse the one that Van’s has going down the center tunnel. I will have to cut a couple of holes in the bottom cowl to allow for them to come out the bottom.
Before I could install the prop governor, I had to replace the studs because they are not long enough to install the governor and get a good grip on the nuts. Ly-Con sent me 4 new ones.
After several hours of trying every tool to get the lower left nut installed, I finally came up with a solution that required sacrificing a brand new wrench. I used a magnet extension to initially put the washer, lock washer and nut on the stud.
Here I installed the oil temperature probe. Originally I had it installed where that plug is above it, but a very observant expert suggested I move it to this one. Thanks Dan.
Today they brought the engine. I went ahead and had Ly-Con ship it, so I would have it when necessary.
Here are a few pics of the engine while it is being painted and reassembled.
Here’s our brand new Lycoming IO-390 about to get reworked. They are going to Port Flow and Balance Cylinders, alodine heads and paint the barrels black, exchange camshaft for performance grind, O-Ring case and precision re-balance. They are also adding the dual P-Mag instead of the magnetos. Once done, it will be painted this blue. Once all of that is done, test it.
Here are the first pics of the engine before they do any customization to it. It’s big! This is from the front side.
This is from the back side. It still has the magnetos on it.
Decided to purchase the Lycoming IO-390 from Ly-Con. They are going to add dual P-Mags, Port Flow and Balance Cylinders, Alodine heads and paint barrels black, disassemble engine, exchange camshaft for performance grind, O-Ring case, precision re-balance, then, test cell run.