Once all the feathers were on, including ailerons and flaps, it was time to get a good pic from above. I started the project with the wings, as did most everyone else and in the beginning thought I was supposed to prime along the rivet line, so the tops of the wings have primer on them. The painter assures me it is no big deal as everything gets scratched up before final paint.
I had to cut out a little of the bottom cowl where the mufflers come out. I am going to glass in a couple of fairings so it won’t have those two holes there.
I decided to use Vetterman’s Exhaust with the mufflers. Today I finished hanging the supports, so it is now permanently attached.
I connected the ground from the engine to the motor mount per Van’s instructions. I located it a little different place, but I like where it is. First I had to get the blue paint off of the area where the terminal attaches.
I got the ground from the firewall to the back of the panel. I used a bolt through the firewall, put a nut on it, then the terminal, then another nut and it worked great. So today, I turned on the panel for the first time with it’s own battery.
Here it is on the engine side.
Here it is on the panel side.
We wired all of the CHT’s, EGT’s and all engine monitors, alternators & starter. I still have to wire the red cube, but I have to wait until I get the plans for the FWF and the hoses to install it. I had to use a 60amp fuse for the alternator and a 40amp fuse for the backup alternator, so they are wired here by the master and starter solenoids. I still have to add the smaller boots to some of the terminals, but I have to order them.
Since I am using a manual Hobbs meter to back up the EFIS, I need to have an Oil Pressure switch on top of the manifold. Problem is, it’s too fat to fit, so I had to fabricate a couple of spacers and move it to the center for a better fit.